Welcome to Isaac Newton's Old School
This website was set up to help raise funds to replace the roof of the Old School Building. In 2013 the task has been completed and the new roof is in place to protect this special building for future generations of King's School pupils. The Old School is scheduled to be reopened in mid-June 2013 by Peter Lauener, Chief Executive of the Education Funding Agency (EFA), who provided the bulk of the capital funding for the project.
Following the reopening ceremony the building will enter a new phase of utility and once more it will become a vital hub of school activity. The Head Master, Governors, Pupils and Staff of the school are very appreciative for the dedicated support and efforts of all those who have contributed during the six year long journey to complete this project.
We hope that you enjoy this site and that you may one day visit Isaac Newton's alma mater.
The first mention of a grammar school in Grantham was in 1327. However it is possible that there had been one since before 1200. If this is the case, then the School existed even before there were any universities in England. The school building was constructed c 1497, and was endowed by Bishop Richard Foxe in 1528 as The Free Grammar School of Edward VI. The school boasts several famous alumni, including Sir Isaac Newton who attended the school from 1655 to1661. This building is still in use today as part of everyday life as the Library for the boys of The King's School, Grantham, the name by which the school has been known since 1909.
The Old Grammar School
The building is steeped in history. The boys through the centuries have left their marks, initials, signatures and diagrams engraved into the stone window sills and surrounds, the graffiti of their day, and these give us some insight into its past. Throughout its history the building has had many uses supporting school life.
© The King's School, Grantham/photo Ruth Crook Updated 14 May 2013